On April 23, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) issued the final rule requiring demolition and underground construction to follow the same requirements established by the final rule for Cranes and Derricks in Construction, published in August 2010.
Previously, OSHA had separate standards for underground and demolition work involving cranes and derricks.
Now, those standards have been eliminated, and the same rules applying to other crane and derrick construction sectors are now the same for underground construction and demolition.
Common Hazards and Signage Solutions
The hazards associated with cranes and derricks in construction can range from tipping caused by unstable loads to encountering buried electrical cables. Both the operators as well as the ground workers nearby can be affected by these risks.
- For ground workers, Crane Overhead and Swing Radius signs can help remind them to stay clear and be alert that cranes and derricks are operating nearby.
- For operators, High Voltage signs and markings alerting them to stay at least 20 feet away from power lines can help them adhere to regulations and operate at a safe working distance.
- For both ground workers and operators, Crane Hand Signal wallet cards can provide immediate reminders for standard communication signals.
For More Information
If you want to learn more about cranes and derricks, associated hazards and solutions, and OSHA regulations, please visit the following:
- OSHA's web page on Crane, Derrick, and Hoist Safety
- The OSHA Construction eTool on Cranes and Derricks
- The August 2010 Final Rule for Cranes and Derricks in Construction
- The OSHA news release announcing the latest ruling
- The final rule for Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Underground Construction and Demolition
The final rule takes effect May 23, 2013.
About Accuform Signs
Accuform Signs, located in Brooksville, FL, is the leading manufacturer of facility safety identification products. Founded in 1976, Accuform Signs sells products to a network of distributors throughout North America, South America and Asia. From personalized safety signs, safety tags and labels, to traffic safety and lockout/tag out products, Accuform Signs provides the products and sales support for the distributors that define the safety industry.